Thursday, April 9, 2015

Hakaar - Chronicle 19.5 - Reunion

We awoke on the Beidrick's boat, which was listing gently in its slip. Finn and Tad, had been on watch when we approached and lied about how Beidrick had given us permission to sleep here.

They had looked back and forth and shrugged.

"Thank you, boys." Silah had smiled winsomely as we climbed aboard, cementing the deal with her extraordinary charm.

I'd held close to the warm, glowing Silah all night. She invaded all my dreams readily, showering me with affection, meeting me at every memory and at every turn.

There was a shout from Beidrick to his boys which prompted me to stir. Before I could move away, Silah's warm eyes locked with mine. I moved in close and kissed her.

"I better disarm him before he takes the boys apart for letting us stay on here." I grinned at her as I stood.

Beidrick was at first surprised to see me rise out of the boat, but then his brow furrowed. I moved quickly toward him before he had a chance to bark obscenities at the boys.

"There's not a single place in Hlofreden to sleep." I said apologetically. "We got in last night and this was literally the last place we could turn to."

I  produced a gold from my coin pouch and pressed it into his palm.

He chuckled.

"I rented floor space in my apartment and stayed with my lady. I guess I'm taking a page from Sig's book of how to exploit people." The chuckle turned into a full laugh. "Now, with you, I think I made three gold overnight."

He seemed to forget the trespass with the gain, but then he moved toward the boat and proceeded to yell at the boys about letting "strangers" aboard his boat. I shook my head, and looked back to see Silah interrupting him, poking him in the chest firmly, which made him wince. He cut off and she gave him some stern words. He bowed slightly, extending his arm in an attempt to gracefully excuse her from his boat. She moved past him, looking annoyed. He followed her with an disgruntled stare, rubbing at his chest with a pained look. She grinned at me, making sure he couldn't see her face anymore, and walked down the dock. My heart trembled at the sight, her silhouette against the light glinting off of the water, sending a shower of sparks all around her.

"Shall we get that dress of yours mended?" I held my arm out to her.

We took our time, wandering the streets. Everything felt fresh and new. Even with the increased population on the streets, I felt incredibly at ease, letting my worries fade with the overwhelming wonder I was feeling.

We moved up to Mont Brooks, and moved through the door. The proprietor, Denton, was standing just inside, helping a plump woman ahead of us. He looked up, recognizing us immediately. He smiled, even at me, my usual sour expression rubbed from my face.

"Be with you in a moment." He said with a practiced gentleness.

I looked around the shop, realizing that I had extra coin in my pocket. I thought about how I could maximize what I had.

Denton's assistant came and brought the customer ahead of us to the side, planning the modifications for the woman's dress, taking it out, it seemed.

He looked Silah over.

"What can I help you… oh dear!" He looked at pulled seam and then at Silah's feigned downcast gaze, "What could have possibly done this?"

"A ruffian grabbed at her arm and the seam came loose." I said, doing my best to sound incredulous.

He eyed me with skepticism until Silah chimed in with the same story.

"If it wasn't for him, my hero," She sulked convincingly, "I don't know what would have come of me."

He tested the other seam, then looked back at the parted seam.

"Yes, these stitches coming loose is completely unacceptable," he said out loud, but mostly to himself. "This should have held, they are double stitched for exactly this reason."

"It should resist much more than a man's strength," he looked me over, sizing me up, "Even yours."

I looked sidelong at Silah wondering what had exactly happened, while he was focused on the stitch, she shrugged with her unobserved shoulder, looking innocent.

"You will have to leave this with me so I can work on it." He said, brow furrowed.

I looked around the store again, now assured that the repairs weren't going to cost anything.

"I would like to look to look at something for myself." I stumbled through, feeling out of place. "Perhaps something in the range of ten gold?"

He looked to me, tilting his head. He seemed to be sizing up my request.

"Those up there are in that range, if you are interested." He motioned toward the front of the store and focused back on Silah, "Do you need something else to … wear?"

She smiled and nodded vigorously. While he moved into the back room, Silah took my hand and led me over to several large tunics, she lifted them out and pressed them against my chest, squinting at the coloring in the light of the chanted glass.

She grimaced at a few of the brighter colors and settled on a subtle grey with a black shoulders and black trim. It felt like a uniform, with a sweeping black seam that ran from the V neck and under the left arm to the seam. She held it up to me and put me in front of the mirror and I nodded appreciatively, she stood behind me, pressing it close, showing the fit. I had never felt excited for clothes, but Silah's eye made me realize that I could look presentable.

Denton brought Silah a replacement and nodded appreciatively at her selection.

She swept past and moving toward the changing room, snatching the relatively plain white dress from Denton as she slipped by.

"I would also need some breeches." I said, tentatively.

"Ah, that would be far too primitive." He smiled, then glanced at my light gray breeches then coughed slightly pointing to a pair of hanging close to where Silah found the tunic, "These are a heavy broadcloth, well suited for someone of your … activity. They breathe well enough because of these fabric inserts here."
He pointed along the inner seam and the crotch. The gray fabric was different, but that was obvious on very close inspection. He also pointed at similar fabric points along the outer seam as well.

"It's a fit that I devised and would be willing to part with it, with … both, of these for," he paused and looked at me, suddenly sounding uncharacteristically exasperated, "What do you have?"

I pulled the coins I had taken from the ruffian at Kellas House.

He sighed, "That will do. I will have to take them out quite a bit. Just come back to me tomorrow morning when you come to retrieve her dress."

He looked at me with a modicum of frustration and then his guise changed instantly, speaking more plainly, doing away with the pretense and dropping his voice an octave.

"If there are going to be more like you in town, I'm going to have to change my approach at making clothes." He said, shaking his head, "You are especially hard on clothes. The ones I'm giving you, I designed with working in mind. Very few people I sell to need working clothes that wear well. But, I have a feeling that there will be an increased need for them soon enough."

He looked toward where Silah disappeared, making sure she was still out of earshot.

"I'm looking to you to help me test how these wear. I expect you to report to me. I also expect you to buy more or tell others, whichever suits you." He eyed me with his words, waiting for my reaction.

I gave him a toothy smile, which seemed to make him wary, then I gave him small laugh.

"I'm not sure whether to be offended or buy you a drink. When did you decide to join the rest of us?"

"You have to change with the times. Those I attend to aren't looking for something outside of a certain style and I find it … constraining. Although, I am having a hard time dealing with you working warrior types." He grimaced at the thought, "I've had more than a few of you come in looking for the same."

Silah exited the dressing room, wearing a milky white dress with a slight gold trim. It set off her eyes, making them shimmer their own honey gold hue.

Denton immediately adopted his persona again as he approached her.

"Lovely!" He smiled, he looked genuinely pleased, while his somewhat obsequious intonation likely wasn't. "Should you chose to keep it, I'll make sure to hold it for you."

Silah produced a wide glittering smile and performed a deep, flawless curtsy.

"Good sir." She said as she lifted an elegant hand to him.

"M'lady." He took her hand and returned the bow, brushing his lips against the back of her hand.

He stood, almost swooning as she turned from him and placing her hand on my upraised arm. He looked back to me and smiled, then lifting his chin toward me, giving me a knowing look. I returned a nod as I turned to exit with Silah.

We started moving back down to The Sea Witch, but decided to wander a bit. The sun was high in the sky and I was famished, but it didn't touch my mood. I adopted the casual stately walk, feeling in no rush to get anywhere. I felt like I was already wearing that smart looking tunic. Everything was perfect and I could feel Silah echoing the same feeling, deepening the experience with her touch and reflected emotions.

One thing that was clear about Hlofreden was that there we far fewer browseable markets. Over the next couple of hours, we had nearly exhausted the amount of entertainment we could muster. We ended up on the docks, buying a batch of that glue-like seafood gruel from the smiling toothless vendor. It looked very distasteful, but the spices and flecks of seaweed mellowed in the sauce brought the succulent chunks of shrimp to a surprisingly flavorful melange.

Silah sat next to me, slipping her shoes off, putting them next to her, and dangling her naked feet over the water, which was well below where we sat. I finished the meal, and set the bowl off to the side, watching the sky start to redden as it neared the Western horizon.

"Does this count as that elegant night on the town you were looking for?" I smiled at her, hopeful.

She grinned at me, eyes sparkling.

"Maybe? The night is young, after all." She taunted, tipping her head playfully. "I'm in a new dress, which does count for something."

She scooted up next to me and leaned into me. I put my arm her, curling my hand around her waist. I closed my eyes against the subdued sun, feeling the seaside breeze swirl as the overland air started to rush down from the hills out to the ocean as the day cooled.

"Fine," Silah chuckled to herself while leaning up against me, "Yes, this counts. Of course, you could even earn a little more if you keep it up."

"Should we see what's next, then?" I asked and she looked up expectantly, "Tomorrow is Robyn's farewell party. I am pretty sure the rest of them are piled into The Sea Witch making plans without us."

"And what could they possibly do without us?" She said through a wide smile.

"Right?" I stood, and held my hand out to her. I lifted her in place and she daintily slipped on her shoes. She cradled my arm as we moved down the docks and on to The Sea Witch.

The bustle was apparent, again, as we moved through the door into the dining area. The smells of sweat, meat, and broth filled the tavern with a slight overtone of aged ale.

There were some familiar faces in the crowd, though. Igul, Martin, and the rest of the Salamanders had commandeered a table, with the massive Preben sitting at the bar. They were drinking readily. They seemed quite settled in, perhaps they had even stopped through Kellas House? I may have been too focused on my training with Duncan to have noticed.

Surprisingly, none of the rest of our group was here. I looked at Silah, confused, then shrugged. I moved up to the bleary eyed Macaulay.

"Do you have anything other than Shatterhammer Ale?" That got Macaulay's attention, he gave me a sideways glance, then peered around the room.

"I know what it sounds like, but I'm in need for something … else right now. Something lighter? Or maybe a stout?" I said, but then lowered my voice, "Just not another Shatterhammer."

He slyly tucked away, filling from another reserve that was a considerably darker brew with a decent head. I knocked the table, and pointed to Silah. He obliged, filling another and placing it in front of her.

"Just make sure Bromm doesn't see it. He and my Da have been pretty heavy on pushing Shatterhammer."

"Of course, not a peep. And, thank you." I raised the mug to him.

I nodded to the solidly built Preben, he raised his mug when he saw me, which, of course, looked to be full of Shatterhammer ale. He was looking solitary, separated from the rest of his group.

We moved down the bar a little ways, giving us some space from the traffic at the front door.

"Well, that's disappointing." I leaned toward Silah, speaking a bit louder than I intended, competing with the din.

She did one better and pulled her stool close, lifting the mug to her lips with her left hand and placing her right hand on my left arm.

"This is much easier," She echoed, her glowing eyes, moving close to mine.

She was wearing something fantastic, a revealing gauzy red dress with golden chain trim and a low slung back that showed off the mysterious tattoo running along her spine.

Well, this is new. You look incredible!

She smiled, silkily, running her left hand down her right arm.

"I said I'd have to switch things up." She smiled, but then dropped her arms, frustration fluttering across her face, "Your whole dislike of crowds, while usually unwarranted, has been appropriate of late. I guess what happened at Kellas House tainted the experience for me."

Unfortunately, that's my usual experience. I shook my head at the thought. People like that always come out at the worst time. I hate to dissuade you, but I rarely see that good you seek in others.

Her visage grimaced, tilting her head.

Never stop looking, though. It's one of those those things I admire most about you.

She turned to me from the bar and smiled, while the visage approached me and kissed me gently. My heart fluttered with the experience and I felt a warmth roll over me as she lingered close.

It was a few moments later that both Sig and Bromm pushed through the door. Sig was laughing, and Bromm has a tight-lipped smile. My eyes widened as I looked Bromm over, he had a crimson long coat overlayed with ornate patterns of silver thread. Silver buttons adorned the front, catching the light as he moved. He wore a hat with equal flair, a white plum dancing in the air above his head. Silah was engrossed as well. She glanced back at me with an incredulous grin, then turned back to the show.

Igul turned, hearing a familiar voice. He was struck by Bromm's outfit as well, but after recovering he smiled.

"Wait, are you following us?" Igul said in jest.

"A round of Shatterhammer for us and that table there!" Bromm shouted to Macaulay, who gave him a withering look. "This is my Da's place, of course I'd always follow you here!"

Igul grinned at Bromm's bravado and moved back to his seat, awaiting the round of drinks.

Slowly, Danin and Floki also trickled in until all of us were sidled up to the bar. Bromm's tiredness, again, only touched his eyes where he seemed quite healthy otherwise. Sig looked bleary eyed, but also a bit bruised as well. I grimaced, wondering what he'd been up to.

We spent some time catching up, since I hadn't really spoken with Danin, Sig, or Bromm at length for quite some time. We pressed our way onto one of the larger tables as some of the other patrons filtered out for the night.

Danin had spent most of his time in the temple of Derum Ebbar and Floki had spent most of his time out at his cabin. Bromm quietly showed the multi-barreled "Pepperbox" gun that he'd retrieved from Blackrose. There was a new glossy sheen to it that hadn't been there when he had showed it to us before. Sig nodded at it appreciatively.

Rana had appeared in the tavern, skimming the crowd a bit before seeing us. Her eyes lit up as she caught sight of Danin. She moved in, giving a smile and a nod to her brother, then sidled up to Danin. I watched carefully, wondering if he would give her any indications of his newfound interest in Stella, the statuesque blond girl who ran with Nida. I could feel the awkwardness drip from the rest of the group, but Danin kept tight lipped. I cringed as she clung to him, nothing had changed for her from the week he'd been gone. I felt a pit form in my stomach as he yielded to her advances, with her being ignorant of his shift of affection.

I glanced at Silah, who remained silent, but remained engrossed in the proceedings, wearing an unreadable expression. That was an expression that often worried me.

Floki finally alluded to the most obvious change at the table.

"Bromm, you look downright fancy." Floki said. "What's the occasion?"

"Robyn figured it was time for me to update my look." Bromm said while he shrugged nonchalantly, then sipped at his ale, quietly revelling in the attention.

Rana was fascinated with the buttons, breaking her attention from Danin for moments to play with their mirror polish.

"Oh, I went and looked up at the storage area. From the latest break-in?" Floki said to Bromm, then glanced back to Sig.

This perked everyone's attention and the side conversations fell quiet.

"Something came out of there. Something large and very strange. The wall is gone at the back and the storage doors themselves were ripped right off." Floki wet his lips, looking a bit anxious, "Whatever it is it made its way right over the cliffside into the city. I have no idea where it ended up, but it is in town."

Looks went around, some concerned, others excited. Rana smiled.

"I forget what it's like to travel with you boys." She mused, a distant look in her eyes, "While the Ranch is keeping me occupied, it's not at all the same. Perhaps that's the difference between work and adventure."

She glanced at Danin and smiled, leaning into him. Bromm coughed, suddenly uncomfortable.

"I have some business I have to discuss with the Salamanders." Bromm stood, glancing around the table.

He moved to the bar and called Igul over. Igul flagged Preben out of his place at the bar and Preben took his seat at the table. I stood, asking the riveted Silah to save my seat, then moved in close as Bromm leaned in to talk to Igul.

"I haven't been entirely honest with you." He said to Igul with a concerned look.

Igul looked at him warily.

"We know the woman you're looking for. We've known for a while." Bromm's voice remained even, while Igul looked shocked and disappointed, "And yes, she's here but she will reveal herself in her own time."

"You… knew? And you let us twist in the wind? You even helped us post those notices!" He looked beaten and more than a little angry.

"See, she's a close friend. We had to give her the choice, let her know that her mother, or whomever, was looking for her." I said with a shrug, "It's nothing against you gentlemen. I trust your intentions, but I don't necessarily trust who you work for."

He rolled his eyes and retrieved his drink from the table.

"There was no offense meant. We just had to be sure," Bromm asserted

Igul rolled his head back and forth with an uncommitted response, Bromm led him back to our table.

Bromm continued, "That's why I wanted to tell you now. She fully intends to go with you, but in her own time."

"What does that mean? We've been on the road for almost a month now." Igul seemed to be getting more agitated as the conversation continued. "I don't think any of us are up for much more of this."

"She's throwing a party this weekend," Floki added, "I'm pretty sure you're invited."

Bromm shot Floki a look, and Floki responded with a shrug, dipping back into his mug.

"Huh, well, that's an interesting development." Igul mused, the hurt look, while still there, softened slightly.

"I would like to have a talk with your… man, though. The floppy hat man?" I said, probably with more force than I meant.

Sig and Bromm looked at me with concern.

"I just, want to make sure he's who he says he is." I said to Igul, but also looking at Sig and Bromm.

"A bastard? Well, yes, he is that." Igul frowned, "He's been in danger of not making it back from this trip. I've had to keep Preben from wringing his neck several times already."

"I just want to make sure he understands that any harm to our friend will not be tolerated. What if I were to have a moment alone with him, ya know, to ask him some questions?"

"Questions, eh? That sounds … interesting. I'm not sure what you'd get from him." He smiled slightly, "I wouldn't mind seeing him put in his place. Nothing too obvious, mind you, and definitely not involving us. Something like that would probably tickle the group."

Sig's concern turned to incredulity, he shook his head at me from behind Igul's gaze.

I sighed, quieting my line of probing.

Bromm interceded, "Make sure your men know about the party. It'll be here tomorrow."

"You've got it, my man." Igul responded, feeling a bit better about where things were heading.

He shouldered his way over to the table and squeezed his head down among his men, spreading the word.

Sig's eyes burned into me.

"What? I just want to make sure he doesn't lead her into a trap. We could, ya know, visit him while he's attending to the privvy. Put the fear of the Gods into him." I said, as nonchalantly as possible.

Silah grinned at the conversation, suddenly very engaged with what was being said.

Sig shook his head emphatically.

"Do you realize who these men are? The Salamanders are the Queen's own men. That floppy hat man is a court counsel in the Queen's court. He's well connected. If something bad happens, or, at it's worst, he meets a tragic end at your meaty hands. You're going to bring all hell down on us."

I grimaced. I hadn't considered any of those connections or implications.

This game above my head… I'll never be prepared for it.

"I don't mind the thought," Bromm shrugged, "You wouldn't kill him, right?"

I shook my head, "I have no intention to let anything get that far."

Sig clenched his teeth, looking borderline furious, looked pleadingly skyward.

"Then, let's look at this from Robyn's perspective. Do you think she'd want you interfering in her business?" Sig said, trying to maintain a diplomatic tone even with the amount of aggravation he was feeling.

Bromm nodded considering the statement.

"Why don't we ask her ourselves?" Bromm said, then added, "She's not here. I'm sure I know where she is."

(Get to know Akeron.)

No comments:

Post a Comment