Monday, June 15, 2020

Journal - Tryst

We were in no condition for the front entry of the hotel. Bjorn had picked up his shield maiden, Blanka, and carried her to the elevator near the back entrance through the restaurant. I was covered with bloodstains and now completely unable to clench my left fist without nearly passing out. The gift of adrenaline had departed and all that was left was pain.


Bjorn’s trench coat had bullet holes, but he seemed no worse than before. It was likely the bullets had reflected off of the personal armory his coat concealed.


As we moved through, a man spied us. I made eye contact with him and raised a finger to my lips. He nodded quietly in response. His hands were graced with rings, making it plain that he was a well-moneyed man. The elevator opened immediately and we began the ascent to the top floor.


It was Blanka’s idea to take all of the suites on the top floor. I didn’t let the expense roll entirely to Nachtrichter’s budget, either. A little allowance like this kept the peace, even if it had annoyed Elsbeth. There are battles and there are wars. I was choosing carefully which to win and which to lose. Eventually, I hoped to be the victor and the war would be mine.


Or I’d be dead. Either way, there wasn’t much point to putting my foot down at something so relatively minor.


Not like it didn’t benefit me. I had a room overlooking the river, watching lighted boats move over the dark waters. I had taken a chance that, so far, I hadn’t regretted. Elsbeth paired with Maurik. She was clearly upset, but it was better than the alternative: Blanka. Plus,  Maurik would protect her until his dying breath. Bjorn and Blanka were a pair. It was unfair to Bjorn, really. I did worry that the playfulness would get the better of his restraint, but I continued to hope that his honor would prevail.


That left me alone with my thoughts--and a bundle of bandages. I moved into the bathroom, looking in the mirror. I had doffed my shirt in order to inspect the damage.


There was a knock at my door.


“Come in.”


Elsbeth stepped in, leaving the door open, then immediately turned to give me privacy.


“Excuse me,” She said quickly.


“You nearly ripped my shirt off about a week ago,” I said with a chuckle, “I think it’s more than appropriate that I’ve already taken it off this time.”


She turned back and looked toward me. Her cheeks were visibly rosey defying her dark complexion.


I spoke to break the silence.


“I’m going to need some help here. I’m not great with bandages. I could use your expertise.”


She approached and began unfurling bandages and measuring out lengths. She unslung a satchel with a faded red cross on it that looked like it had some age to it. It folded open with pockets and straps containing everything she needed for field work.


Surprisingly the spot that ached the most was my jaw. A bruise was starting to form and I was beginning to color like an overripe peach.


“You should get some ice on that, it’ll reduce the swelling. Do you need me to get ice?” She said as she pulled out a rubberized ice pack.


“No, they refill an ice chest under the liquor cabinet. That’s my next stop anyway.”


She smiled at my attempt at humor.


I gingerly put my shirt back on, giving a generous allowance around the bandages so as to not disturb them.


“Do you need anything to sleep?”


“No. I’m plenty exhausted. It won’t be a problem. Thank you, Elsbeth.”


I hesitated a moment, then continued.


“I know I’ve challenged you on this mission. I’ve put you in uncomfortable situations. I recognize it. But I have also seen your strength. Thank you for setting aside any grievances to help Blanka. It shows a lot of character; a lot of resolve.”


She took a deep breath and let it out.


“I did it for you, Bani. Not for Blanka. For you.” Her eyes were stern.


I nodded, acknowledging her feelings on the matter. It was not exactly what I expected from her, but it would have to be a start.


“Good night, Bani.” She said, putting a hand out for a handshake.


I moved past it and embraced her briefly. When I pulled back, I saw her cheeks turn rosey again. I immediately wondered if I’d entirely overstepped my position.


“Good night, Elsbeth. Again, thank you.”


I saw Maurik standing in the far room.


“You’ve got first and second watch, right Maurik?”


“Yes boss.”


“Elsbeth, can you take the last watch?”


She nodded in response. She moved to the open door, locked it, and moved to close it quietly behind her.


“Sleep well.” She whispered almost inaudibly as the door latched in place.


I moved to the liquor cabinet and filled the ice bag from the icebox below. I tossed another set of cubes in one of the glasses and poured a generous amount of gin.


I pressed the bag of ice to my jaw, working it slightly. That woman had packed a punch. I immediately had a visual of her head rolling between my feet in the car by way of Bjorn. I winced at the memory.


“We all get ours. Don’t we.” I mused aloud.


I raised my glass, a toast to the thought, and took a long draw from the glass.


I moved back over to the door and unlocked it. If there was an emergency, I’d rather have my team be able to open the door immediately.


I turned back into the room taking another sip and then froze.


A woman with brilliant white-gold hair sat on the couch. She was dressed in a simple flowing black dress that hugged her form, leaving little to the imagination. Her eyes were piercing, studying me.


It took a moment for me to melt from my shock in order to move again.


“Ms. Davor?”


She didn’t nod, but her head inclined in response.


“Would you like a drink?”


She held up two fingers.


I moved to the liquor cabinet. Placing the bag of ice off to the side. And tossed two cubes of ice in and splashed some gin into the glass. My heart was in my throat. A million thoughts raced through my head, but the prevailing thought was to simply stay calm.


She took the glass I offered and drew from it. Taking half of the contents of the liquid. A myth was quickly dispelled as she swallowed.


“You have done me a favor tonight.” She said simply.


I had settled on the bed, sitting across from the couch she graced. I sipped again at the gin giving her my undivided attention. Anything less could end very poorly for me.


“How so?”


“You have exposed these people. This organization. And you dealt with them soundly. Though it was foolish of you to fall into their trap.”


“A lesson learned,” I said with a sigh, “But we made them pay in kind.”


“Yes. You did.”


Her eyes smoldered.


“Their blood does not atone for what they have done to me. They have taken things from me. Precious things. And they will pay dearly.”


Anger flashed in her eyes. They were the eyes of a predator, hunting by moonlight. She finished the glass and placed it on the cloth covered table next to the couch.


“This wouldn’t be the other...”


I paused, considering the word vampire was used by the Echelon agent. They were not Bella’s true words.


“The other of your kind that they imprisoned?”


Her eyes narrowed as I tread into dangerous territory.


“No. I killed him. He won’t be giving up any more of his secrets.”


Her disgust was palpable.


“It was a concern.” I paused to sip my drink then continued, “It was one of the reasons we accepted the meeting. The woman pretending to be you alluded to experiments. That stands against our charter.”


“Your charter. Upholding the Legerdemain Accords.”


I gave her a sidelong look.


“When you appeared, I did some research of my own.” She raised an elegant eyebrow, “There, of course, were things I already knew. Tonight I was able to connect them together.”


“We could help each other.” I offered.


She raised her hand as a clear rejection. I didn’t press.


“You know more than I expected. You can handle yourself. But we’re not friends.”


She stood and slowly strode forward. She reached to her left shoulder and pushed the strap off so that it dangled loosely. I stood from the foot of the bed, fear and allure competing for space in my mind.


She moved in close and put her hand to my chest. Her touch was warm. I placed my hand over hers and felt two heartbeats quickening together. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply.


The scent of perfume and sweat lingered together with her hot breath. I trembled involuntarily.


Her eyes opened, her gaze softening as she looked up at me.


“You did me a favor,” she whispered, “and I intend to repay it.”


She slipped through the other strap. Shrugging out of her dress, letting it crumple to the floor. She leaned into me with a kiss as her hands pressed me backwards to the bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment