Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Hakaar - Chronicle 24.2 - Power Play

I brought the oil fried potatoes to the table and spaced them around evenly making sure to put one directly in front of Silah. She looked up with a peeved expression then eyed the food. I looked at her and nodded with a smile. She grimaced in response.

Nida had joined the others and was letting herself relax on Sig's arm, watching the rising banter as the long shadows began to reach toward the porch. Part of this banter was the colluding to determine the best way to exit the city. The group had adopted speaking in code, taken from Nida's own attempt, but handling it with considerably more grace than Nida herself did. This, among other things, seemed to fascinate her about this group's dynamics.

Bromm stepped off the porch and moved down Resistance Road that branched off near Hammer's Gate, the West exit of the city, and ran along the stone piers we had visited earlier. Before departing he had said, "There are some things that you have to see for yourself."

The banter continued, but now Floki was poking in his two bits. Sig saw this and began poking holes in each of his plans, getting Floki more and more aggravated with each offhanded comment. I hid a chuckle as I saw the heat rise in him. I was just glad that I wasn't on the receiving end. Silah, too, was enjoying the banter. She had a sly smile and her eyes slid back and forth between the two without moving her head at all.

"You do realize that you're going about this all wrong." Silah finally settled in.

"Oh, how do you mean?" Sig grinned, seeing a new dancing partner come on stage that he could tangle with.

She glanced at Sig, weighing him with her eyes.

"Ah, nevermind. You two keep prattling on." She played it off, playing a game she had used on me plenty of times before.

"Come now. You can't do that. I want to hear what you think is best." Sig said, attempting to urging Silah, his voice already dripping with antagonistic intent.

I sat back and watched. Two masters of manipulation vying for power. I didn't know whether to duck away or simply brace myself. Sig had more to lose in this situation, with Nida by his side. I wondered if Silah picked that moment because of this situation.

"Where are they looking?" She lazily mused, "Docks, boats, gates?"

"Yes. All the places to exit the city. Nothing new there." Sig said flatly.

Bromm walked up and took his empty chair with a concerned look on his face. The conversation halted for a moment as he look around the table.

"Silah has a ‘plan'." Sig said.

She gave him a venom laced smirked. She must have something good up her sleeve.

"I hope it doesn't involve the docks. Or wagons. Or boats." Bromm emphasized each with each mentioned egress. "There are magic sorts down there specifically looking for magical residue. They have inspectors tapping down each barrel, piercing sacks of dry goods. It's a very slow process. I'd say that detection is assured if we use any normal means."

Sig shrugged as if it was nothing new to him.

"So, where's the place they'd be least likely to look?" Silah continued.

Sig rolled his eyes at her vagueness.

"Enough games, if you've got an idea, let's hear it." His voice sounding very tired.

She pointed up, but not anywhere specifically. She was going to draw this out for as long as she could. I assumed that her being the center of attention didn't happen as often as she'd like, sometimes.

"Flying?" She said after a moment where no one seemed to grasp what she was going for.

"Who can do that? I can't do that." Sig said with some mockery.

"I can." Danin said evenly.

Silah nodded. How she knew Danin's capabilities was beyond me.

"And you can hide things from plain sight, am I right?" She looked to Sig.

He nodded. His demeanor had changed as he saw things come together.

"Anywhere in the city, if you wanted. It's a short trip out to the road or, if you'd rather, out to sea." Silah said, looking pretty proud of herself.

"And we have a boat leaving tomorrow." Bromm added nodding. "We'll have to make sure Biedrick is up for the challenge."

"I doubt it'll be a problem. I'm sure he'd appreciate a package like that." I said with a smirk.

Sig's eyes moved to Danin. A knowing look had crossed Danin's face without him realizing it.

"What? Is there a problem?" He piped up, looking at the eyes around the table that were now trained on him.

"It looked like you disagreed whether Biedrick would be up for the challenge." Floki said with a smirk.

"I wish him the best." Danin said, leaning forward and taking one of the potato chips and tossing it into his mouth with a certain finality.

"That's it then, Nida." Sig said looking at the girl who was now blissfully smiling up at him from his arm, "Pike Pier in the morning. Make sure that you bring the box. That'll be the payment to our man who is taking the real risk."

The stress of the situation had drained out of Nida by measures as the plans for Stella's escape had ebbed and flowed. Now, with a solution finally on the table, she had turned to little more than putty. She didn't seem to have a care in the world.

"Now that that's settled, Sedge. I think you owe me a drink." Silah said to Sig as she leaned back in her chair.

"I'm not sure who you're talking to." Sig said, eyeing her with a mix of annoyance and mirth.

"You. You owe me a drink." She said, pointing to Sig.

"If you get my name right, it's a deal." Sig smiled broadly.

I leaned forward in my chair, running my hand over my face. This resulted in a quick slap on the arm from Silah. I shot an angry look at her, annoyed by this pet peeve of hers.

"Sidge. You're just fooling with me now." Silah said, her brow furrowed his direction.

Sig let loose something akin to a cackle, I'd heard it before but I hadn't actually seen him do it. It was a little unsettling.

"I can't tell. Is she serious?" Bromm looked at me.

I nodded.

Silah scowled at me and roughly scooted her chair close in order to elbow me in the ribs. Even with time to react by protecting myself, it hurt far more than it may have appeared. I could see Nida scoffing at my wince from behind a smile.

If she only knew. I thought.

With a furrowed brow, Bromm asked Silah what his name was.

"Blam?" She said after a moment's thought.

I laughed out loud, her mistake catching me off guard.

Silah was now very aware of the mirth at her expense. Her aggravation was rising as she cast her eyes around the table.

"No. I still can't tell. Is she really serious about this?" Bromm seemed very unsettled by this.

"She's always had trouble with names." I said, trying to keep the humor out of my voice.

"No I don't!" She was nearly shouting.

"Then, what's my name?" I asked her.

"That's easy," She paused a moment, "Hakaar."

I nodded, impressed. She had hit it right a few times and, as luck would have it, she struck it right this time, too.

"Very good." I said, "I'm happy you know who I am."

This seemed to settle her down a little, but she scowled at the others, still seeming to think that it was them playing a joke on her.

Bromm was still incredulous, but seemed to take it in stride.

There was some plucking going on around the corner just out of sight from the porch. The evening was in upon us and chanted lights started to take hold in the darkness. The plucking of instruments came from the small, brightly clothed folk that were clumped together, conspiring together about what would happen next.

After a moment, a vibrant strumming seemed to resonate through the air, sending a stunning energy through the air that  instantly brought a smile to my face. I looked at the others and saw the same reaction. I basked as a glorious wave of warmth rolled over me. I looked to Silah who seemed to sit dully, looking around at the others curiously.

I reached out and took her hand in an attempt to share this feeling with her, and a smile spread across her face as well. I tapped my foot along as the small dancers spun out from the clump they were in, moving in time with the music while they played out their dance.

There was some hooting from the warehouse area as a wagon with an open cask sloshing from the back. They put the opened keg on the street and people began to rush forward with open mugs, dipping in and pulling back mugs full of frothy ale.

Nida looked up, seeing this and smiled while turning to Sig.

"I've seen ‘accidents' like that happen a lot around the festival of Làn-Mara." She said with some force to be heard above the music.

"But isn't Làn-Mara next week?" I asked.

Nida tossed her head back with a full laugh.

"It's not only a single day in Dowry. And it's more like all week in Widdowborn." She said with a smile, tugging Sig from his seat.

The small people separated from their dance partners and started reaching for bystander's hands. Tagaern had moved to the edge of the display and was grinning and clapping while Floki and Danin leaned out over the porch to see the sights.

"Let's dance." Silah said in both her voice and as a whisper in my head, she had a wild smile and her eyes glittered with the energy flowing through the air.

I lost myself in the moment. For the first time in forever, my worries were set aside for what was at hand. My glowing companion shimmered with every twist and vault: lithe and free and mine. The grin that was endlessly stuck on my face made my cheeks burn. Turn after turn, I managed to keep up, even if stepping on her toes many times over. It didn't phase her, she was impervious to my failures of foot.

I watched as Tagaern tucked in to the dance as well, finding an enchanting woman with dark hair repeatedly on his arm. Wariness tugged for a moment as I watched, but then I let it spin away in the darkness as we rode on the cushion of night air. I wished for Bromm to be with Robyn at this moment, too. But he stood, happily, clapping along, and sometimes pairing up with one of the wee women who seemed to have the same boundless energy that Silah mustered. Danin disappeared at moments, but re-emerged from the fray. One thing could be said about dwarves was their ability to have a good time.

I hadn't experienced anything like it. I was awash with the sensation.

I saw Sig at a distance. He gave Nida a kiss then pulled away from her, putting his hand to his chest with a bow. Words were exchanged and Nida nodded, although sadness or disappointment tugged at her features. Sig turned off into the night, followed closely by Floki.

I watched as Nida's fallen countenance endured a few beats before she was tapping her foot and clapping along. She had many many friends here and, before long, she was pulled back into the dance.

Bromm stood at the mouth of an alleyway, rolling his head back and looking at the sky. He seemed to be tending to some business while minding his own.

My smile widened. Such good friends to have. I could see Mr. Fang's face as he said, "I wouldn't say I'm exactly successful, but I enjoy what I do and I have great friends here." I could understand what he meant when he said that. Good friends were hard to come by and you would do all you could to cling to them, just as they would do to you. I saw that with Silah, even if things had been particularly tense since we'd been here, my heart had grown because she was in it. And it grew with each passing day.

Another barrel was ‘accidentally' dropped and tapped in the street and money flowed into the open box by the musician who was playing an impossible tune. It was getting late and I felt my breath start to catch while my legs burned to the point where they couldn't carry me much further. I pulled Silah from the dance who had a smile of recognition on her face. She could see, no, feel what I was feeling after all. I walked creakily back to the porch with Silah on my arm. Bromm was there, sitting next to Tagaern, tipping back a mug of Wall Ale.

"It pains me to leave, but are we ready to head back?" I said, raising my voice in competition with the music.

"Aye." Bromm said, his voice was ragged from yelling along with the songs he knew.

"Who's going to get Danin?" I asked as I saw Danin still in the mix, dancing wildly.

"Tough nuts, dwarves." Tagaern shook his head with a smile. "Only way to crack ‘em is at a festival."

The night air was heady as we strode toward Butterwicks. While smiles passed readily between us, not a word was spoken until we were nearly there. Silah was entwined around my arm and I felt that all had been forgiven.

"If the festival lasts all week, I doubt will miss much." I said, still smiling. "I don't think I've had fun like that since that time at The Sea Witch. And I think this bested it by far."

Bromm shook his head, still smiling, but I could see a touch of sadness there. I patted him on the shoulder.

"She'll be waiting." I said, "Who knows, maybe Sig can hire this gaggle of little people to entertain in Hlofreden?"

Bromm chuckled.

"Who are you calling little?" Danin gave me with his usual stern countenance, then cracked it with a smile.

We moved into the tavern and I automatically moved to the stairway, but then remembered I hadn't rented a room. I cringed at the thought and grimaced at Silah.

"Let me handle it." She said, her charm and boldness were in full array tonight.

The woman at the counter was clearly related to the Butterwick clan, she was slightly thinner with a darker complexion with brown mixed with the typically blonde hair. Silah, straight backed, chin raised, being every inch a noblewoman, moved quietly to the counter and waited for the woman to acknowledge her. I could see over her shoulder that all of the tags showing available rooms were, as I had feared, taken off the board.

"What can I help you with?" The young woman looked alert even with it being as late as it was, perhaps this was her normal shift.

"We've arrived late—days late—due to some unfortunate happenings at sea. My man and I require a room." Her voice was artful, speaking with a slight accent that I wasn't familiar with.

The whole experience was surreal. First the impromptu festival, and now this bartering for a room.  It occurred to me that I hardly knew this woman by my side. The thought was both alluring and unsettling.

"Did you not send ahead of a reservation?" The young woman questioned, appearing a little gloomy while giving Silah an excessively bland look.

"The time to send from Akeros would preclude the attempt to secret out of the city for the festival." Silah leaned subtly forward and put her hand to the side of her mouth and added with a small smile, "Far too many eyes."

The girls eyes widened. She was just slightly taller than Silah, but now looked on her as if she was larger than life. She absently wiped her hands on the apron tied around her waist. Her eyes darted about and she seemed to remember something.

She curtsied slightly, which seemed particularly out of place. Then she spoke, giving purpose to the seemingly random act.

"I may have something, ma'am." She looked at Silah with anticipation, "The Princess reserves rooms as overflow during the Festival for the help of those that visit her residence. Usually it is for drivers and personal assistants. Since it is so late, I don't expect to see them sending someone my way."

She took a deep breath and I could see anxiety flutter in her expression for a moment.

"It is not up to your standards, I'm sure. But it is what we have."

Silah smiled easily, graciously.

"Excess is overplayed. Yet privacy, by far, is underrated." Silah lifted her hand above her shoulder and snapped her fingers.

It took a moment to realized my part in all of this. I moved forward, untethering my large coin bag from my waist then placing it in her hand.

"Just some walking around money." She said with her accent, giving a subtle smile to the young woman.

She removed ten gold coins and pushed them toward the girl who fluttered at the sight of it. Silah caught her eye and pressed a finger to her lips.

"And how much for the room?" Silah asked with a firm quietness.

"No charge, ma'am." The woman's voice trembled curtsied again, "But, could I ask your name?"

I could see a warm smile cross Silah's face with the question.

"I'm sorry, my dear. Discretion. But you can call me Silah." As she said it, I saw the young woman look a little hurt that she wasn't allowed to know, but she graciously handed the key to Silah and gave another curtsy to which, Silah responded elegantly in kind.

Bold. Perhaps too bold. I looked away from the proceedings, hoping that this persona wasn't as paper thin as it appeared. If this girl normally worked this late, she may be easily avoided.  I performed a curt nod to the woman, then flanked Silah as she ascended the stairs. I rested my hand on her shoulder.

Trouble. I thought. You're always looking for it, aren't you?

I could feel a smoky smile lingering in the darkness of my mind. She approached the door and opened it with the key. It was well tended to. Apparently, the lodgings for nobleman's help were considerably better than the casual traveler.

As she moved into the room, she turned on her heel and faced me with a smile.

"Ten gold?" I questioned.

"Ten gold, or sleep in the street. Which sounds better?" She responded to my snark with a smile.

I moved up to her and pulled her close, placing my lips on hers. The reverberations between us made me catch my breath. I revelled in the moment then pulled away, looking at her. Her honey-brown eyes were heavy lidded and she wore a blissful smile that revealed her perfect teeth. I reached out and ran a finger along her brow, tucking her hair behind her ear, then continued to run my hand down her neck.

"You continue to amaze me." I said feeling my heart, body and mind stirring to action, "I am in awe of you."

She curtsied, with a smile.

"Thank you for your attention." She said, the dreamy look had faded slightly, but the expression of adoration did not.

"I've been meaning to ask." I said as I busied myself with removing my rucksack, sheaths and armor, "How did you know that Danin could grant others the ability to fly?"

"I didn't." She shrugged, "I thought Zig could do that. I guess he can't?"

"It's a great plan, but you bet pretty big on that one." I said with a chuckle.

"Don't I always?" She said and her smile turned impish as her dress slid from her shoulders to the floor.

(Get to know Akeron.)

No comments:

Post a Comment