Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Hakaar - Chronicle 21.3 - Catch and Release

While, doubtless, I was enjoying the quiet calm these days, I also found myself casting about for more things to keep us distracted. I found it surprisingly hard to fill time in such a small town. It made me itch to be on the road again, discovering new places. Sig had offered me a book he had just finished from his stash. It was a discourse on the planes from a scholar. He had been reading it himself in between the times that he and Bromm were doing work on the gunpowder shipments.

I now had that book on hand, but I wasn't much of a reader. The thought of diving into it made me yawn and my eyes water. I did want to align better with Silah's own understanding. Hopefully, whatever insight I gained could bring more clarity to the looming fate that was inching its way toward us.

Bromm had done his best to repopulate the temple of Kols. Now, there was even a theologian, Bridger, who was eager to dig into the books of history and lore as an Acolyte of Kols. He had already set to reading, becoming versed in Kols' tenets. There were others, primarily help that maintained and occupied the building, performing the duties that the followers had done. These weren't true believers, but were happy to help maintain the grounds in exchange for food, clothing, shelter, and a meager wage.

It seemed that Bromm, alone, held the honor of this commitment to Kols. Although, from what he had said, Robyn also wore the striking hammer holy symbol that Bromm had devised. It seemed that all of the most unlikely characters were finding a place in all of this madness. Even Robyn, whom I wondered if she had the patience to settle in? Would she find that her old habits were too ingrained? It could be said that the world had turned again and this Spring brought all sorts of change. Only time could reveal where each of these roads led.

Silah and I dug into every nook and cranny of Hlofreden, exploring even the most mundane portions of the city. It was a late morning nearly two weeks after Robyn's so-called farewell and subsequent incarceration when we ended up at the landmark Shrine of the Lost Mariner on the Northwestern cape.

"I think we've been just about everywhere." I grimaced, again feeling that itch for adventure tugging at me.

I leaned up against the standing bronze monument and slid to a seat looking out over the shimmering water. Silah was walking around the monument, studying the names carved in the stone below the bronze cap. I wasn't sure if she was genuinely interested. There were times where the inconsequential barely made an impression on her, but she still went through the motions of appearing interested. It was a silly sort of thoughtful. But the seeming of it made her feel more… alive?

It was true. She had seemed more human lately. Those moments of unnatural stillness or not taking a breath for minutes at a time still happened, but they were not obvious. Her assimilation with humanity was seamless. It seemed to be a point of satisfaction, even joy, for her to blend in so effectively. Even I rarely recognized those times where she failed to hold up that appearance. Perhaps that was a point of joy for her, too?

"I wish we could get into that mine behind the storage area. I can't get Sig to commit to anything until they're done. He and Bromm have been very preoccupied." I sighed, and bounced my head gently against the monument.

Silah's lips were pursed.

"They said they would be done in a matter of weeks." She said, her face still thoughtful while inspecting the facade of the monument. "Isn't Robyn's trial scheduled for tomorrow?"

"Yes, that." I realized that this gnawing despair that was consuming me was this fear over what was next for Robyn, but now it was obvious, "Bromm said he called in on his dad to see if he could swing a little favor in her direction. I wouldn't say that Hagan is a good character witness, but doubtless, he's got clout."

"The whole situation was pretty suspicious; Salamanders, a foreign Queen." I shook my head, still concerned. "To think that Bromm and I had called it from the beginning."

I was just talking to talk at this point. Silah was already well aware of the situation. She had helped piece together some of the points we were bringing to the Regent. Strangely, the fact that the Salamander's left immediately after the altercation hadn't immediately thrown the case into question.

I shrugged to myself. I pulled the book on the planes from my backpack along with some of the trail rations I'd gathered from the priory's well stocked pantry. I did feel bad for dipping into it, but I knew it would have remain unused otherwise.

"Interesting." Silah looked down at me awkwardly handling the book, her interest settling on me again. "Are you going to give it a try?"

"I'm thinking about it." I scrunched my face at the words, "This kind of stuff makes my head hurt."

"Perhaps I can help? Do you mind if I join you?"

She asked the question brightly, but without waiting for a response, she settled up against me, looking at the pages that my large hands were gingerly grasping at. I was easily frustrated with things this complex, but then something strange happened as I began to read through it. Silah would chime in and describe certain aspects of things in more detail or she would help me with the more heady words I came across. She helped me make sense of things where I doubted I could.

The sun rose, then descended until it was well into the evening. We had moved along with the shadow of the monument, when the sun had had become unbearable. As dusk began to set in, we returned to The Sea Witch, which was now operating at its usual pitch for a weekday. It was a lighter crowd allowing for unforced conversation. It seemed that Bromm was passing through when we showed up, packing a meal for Robyn.

"Those apartments, the ones near the docks. Those are your father's, correct? Are they available?"

"As far as I know. You'll have to talk with my Da'." Bromm said, his barogue unrolling with the mention of his father.

"What do you think would be a fair price?" I asked, feeling immediately outclassed. "I want to settle in to something a bit more permanent. I wouldn't mind something like those apartments. I feel bad every time I take over your room."

He gave a dismissive gesture.

"Don't even worry about it! You're welcome to use it." His words were genuine, but I had felt that I had long overstayed my welcome.

"I, uh, we need our own space." I nodded toward Silah who was talking with Macaulay animatedly. "It just doesn't feel right otherwise."

Bromm nodded, his expression was one of understanding.

"I'll put in a good word for ya." He clapped a hand to my shoulder. "Don't let him intimidate you."

He winked with the advice. I wasn't sure how serious he was, but it didn't help settle my nerves.

"Are you ready for the trial tomorrow?" I asked him, bringing the topic around to something more serious.

"I assume so?" Bromm said, there was no hesitation with the response even if he was unsure.

"It should work out just fine." I said as a feeble attempt at being reassuring.

I could see that Bromm was now very invested in his time with Robyn. There was far more to the story than I had seen. There was always an inkling, a potential, but I hadn't seen it coming. His attachment and her change of heart after this event had shaken loose whatever feelings they had for each other. Perhaps it was the shock of potential loss that both of them needed?

Yet, I could see that it would still be a long road. I had rarely seen Robyn show affection, but when she had, it was most definitely toward Bromm. I just hoped that their sparks didn't end up burning anything down in the process as they worked to see how they fit with each other.

Bromm moved away from the bar as Macaulay brought a bundle to him.

"I'm going to deliver this and see if I can get some sleep." He looked through the bundle then looked up at me, "You have a good night."

I nodded and patted him on the back. He was weary. Between Robyn, the priory, and the tasks that he had taken on with Sig, I hoped that things would work out for the best for the sake of his health.

Silah and I had not been invited to the trial. It was being held in the Regent's private offices, which only allowed for Bromm and Danin to represent Robyn's case.

Bromm met up with us in The Sea Witch where we awaited the results of the trial. He came in somewhat somber, but Danin had a wide grin on his face as he walked through the door, revealing the true result.

They unfolded the story of the trial to us. Magra, the Nightwatch Captain and the Bluecoat clerk were acting on behalf of the deceased. It had been up to Danin and Bromm to reveal the true intentions of the Salamanders and their employer.

It was an uphill battle, but paperwork that Danin had pilfered from the corpse provided a clear connection to the throne, whom Robyn had an uneasy relationship with, at best. Bromm explained that the actions of the Salamanders were clearly that of enforcers and if it hadn't gone the way it had, she would have been overwhelmed and killed or taken by force.

The challenge was just enough to put the clerk off balance, being unable to provide the burden of proof in the other direction. Bromm clapped a hand to Danin's back.

"I visited Robyn right after and let her know the verdict." Bromm said proudly.

The twinkle in his eye, one that had faded with the devastation at the Priory and the situation at Robyn's farewell, had come back. His tenacity was sparked now that he had fully committed himself.

He mentioned that he and Sig had another week of work to be able to keep the gunpowder freight commitments to the Princess for the coming month.

"We are going to meet Robyn at the temple and show her around. It's an open invitation for whoever wants to join. This is likely the closest you'll ever see her to being religious." Bromm said with a subtle grin pulling at the corners of his lips.

Even with her stay in prison, Robyn looked healthy. She wore a quieter version of the outfit she had worn to her farewell two weeks prior. She wore her double barrel pistol that Danin secured after the gunfight. There was a softness to her that hadn't been there before. She didn't seem to be looking for a fight as had always been her way. In this group, there was no need to look for vulnerabilities or an edge over one or the other. She seemed to be taking a break from the posturing game that she had been playing for most of her life. She simply let things happen and her unfeigned smile made her seem much younger for it.

"So, what's my job here?" She peered around the main chapel area, looking at the stained glass windows.

Bromm looked at her with some curiousity. He had been introducing Bridger, the new scholar, or, now, the newly appointed Acolyte of Kols—however that worked—to Floki and Sig.

"What … job would you like?" He said with some trepidation.

"I'm pretty good with a gun?" She said, rocking back and forth on the balls of her feet.

"I offered to train the Bluecoats in firearms. Are you good at training?" He raised an eyebrow with the mock question.

She rolled her eyes.

"Haven't I done enough damage to my reputation already. Training Bluecoats?" She let out a sharp involuntary laugh, but then mused for a moment.

"It's a public service! You know, for a good cause?" Bromm continued dryly with a deadpan expression.

She looked at Bromm, her face was unreadable.

"Why not." She nodded, then smiled at him.

Bromm raised his eyebrow at that.

"Why not?" He said scoffingly. "They say prison really does change people. I didn't expect that."

Robyn crinkled her nose at him, her green eyes scorching.

"Perhaps," She paused, searching for words, "We both have a need to commit to something?"

Bromm made to respond, but then nodded slowly, looking at her.

"You're in charge of defense, then. And, if you choose to, you can decide to teach others."

She looked at the walls then out into the courtyard.

"It looks defensible enough?" She mused.

She looked at each of us around the room at the nodding heads then stopped on me. I was shaking my head dramatically.

"No, this place is not defensible for what's coming up against you." I said emphatically.

Robyn suddenly looked worried then looked to Bromm.

"What's he talking about?" She asked Bromm and he shrugged.

"You might want to confer with him about, uh, defenses."

I showed her downstairs where the small classroom was. I moved to the slate and scratched primitive figures. It took only a moment to bewilder her with the descriptions of the creatures we encountered and how best to defend against them. Silah sat near the back of the room and watched. There was a glimmer of pride in her eyes as she looked on, but she remained silent letting me have my moment.

"The best defense is to never let them get in in the first place." I said, clearly recalling the pools of blood and the signs of death covering the basement. "And, because they can climb just as quickly as they can walk, you can't depends on the walls to save you."

I elaborated on the defenses: iron bars behind every window including those in the bell tower and behind the large stained glass window, reinforced doors securing each entrance, and barbed hooks facing outward on the tops of the surrounding fence.

"You've thought about this for a while, haven't you." Robyn said, watching me closely after I had fallen silent.

"Let's just say that I've had plenty of dreams about it. It only takes staring death in the face once to learn a lesson like that." I said quietly.

"Aren't all lessons learned that way?" Robyn smiled.

(Get to know Akeron.)
(Read Robyn's Account of Events.)

No comments:

Post a Comment